Monday, March 14, 2011

I like to take "out take" photos and use them for cards for family. This card has a picture of my brother in law, Terry. The first time I saw it, I thought it looked like he was giving directions to the veggie cart guy. They were in Eseli, Nicaragua and Terry does not speak Spanish well enough even if he knew the area well enough to give directions. After the trip, last January, Terry dislocated his Achilles tendon and had to have surgery. The card is a "had to been there" moment but it was well received by all who know the inside joke.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

This page was done using a lot of different settings with my Cricut. For details go to The paper is Cosmo Cricket Garden Variety. Three Fiskars border punches were used on the right side. One edge of each photo was done with a Martha Stewart punch. I-Kandee chalk, the Earth Tone set was used to color in the yellows. The clip is from an old Provo Craft African set.

The journaling: Juanita, Kyle’s neighbor, is shucking dried corn. It was grown and harvested on the small farm where she and her husband, Miguel, live. The kernels can be taken to a mill with an electric grinder although it is commonly done by hand. The meal is made into tortillas which are served at every meal. Nica women can turn out a stack of perfectly round tortillas in less time than it takes to walk to the dairy case and get to the cash register in a U.S. grocery store.

Juanita is a sweetheart, a great cook and makes excellent tortillas. She is amazing at making do with what is on hand. She and Miguel raised five children and now are the primary care-givers to two of their grandchildren.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hi, it's Marlene here. For my project, with inspiration from Donna, I completed an altered object using my Cricut Expression. I bought a plain mailbox at the hardware store. I cut Cricut vinyl using From My Kitchen for the numbers. The oval is from George set on silhouette mode and was superimposed over the numbers with Design Studio. I used the weld option with DS so I could work with the total project as one piece. The numbers on the flag side of the box are slightly smaller to make room to swing the flag up or down. I sized the stencil for the door even smaller to fit.

The negative cut was used to create a stencil and all areas of the box that I didn't want to paint were covered. Several coats of white paint were sprayed over the stencil (the exposed parts of the mailbox were all that was painted). I bought Krylon glow in the dark paint which was sprayed for the final coats. The numbers are reflective and glow which is perfect for a rural mailbox with a house number. Now I'm ready to receive some scrappy goodies!